HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

About For Glory

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: About For Glory   Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:03 pm

For Glory is a collaborative storytelling environment for individuals who either have an interest in Military History, Writing or General Military subjects; preferably all three. If you enjoy writing historical fictions about events that happened 235 years ago or yesterday, this is the place for you. I also included a forum for those who enjoy the speculative world of Science Fiction.

For Glory places emphasis on the writing and the size of the subject being Role Played. Typically an RPer will portray the actions, thoughts and speech of one character. This is not always the case with For Glory.

Military operations require teamwork for success. A unit of soldiers or marines will train together for an extended period of time so that the actions of each man become anticipated by everyone else in the team. Replicating teamwork in an RP has always been the one aspect of Military RPs I've had problems with. Yes, it is true that each individual on the team is a unique individual, but the training one receives in the military provides the soldier or marine with the ability to disregard his own feelings and desires for the good of the unit. The soldier or marine will act and react based on what he was trained to do. There is no opportunity to think or weigh options. In the heat of the moment, he who acts first, comes out on top. This behavior defines discipline.

For Glory seeks to create a role play experience using Military History as a format where the Role Player portrays the leader of a unit. If a Role Player wants to RP a Rifle Platoon with the US 101st Infantry Division (ABN) at Bastogne, his primary character is the Platoon Leader. Since the unit is a "well-oiled" machine and the soldiers within the unit know each other intimately and work well together, the player may also RP any or every member of his platoon.

At some levels, For Glory will also permit role players to portray commanders at each level. You can portray a Squad Leader, Platoon Leader, Company Commander, Battalion Commander, Brigade Commander, Regimental Commander, Division Commander, Corps Commander and even an Army Commander. I must warn you, that the higher the echelon, the less you have to write about as a commander. The best levels for writing a military RP are at the Squad, Platoon and Company levels. Last spring I wrote an extensive RP for a battalion sized unit. As it turned out, my RP was a compilation of accounts of platoon and squad experiences within the battalion.

Regardless if there is 5 men in a fight or 5,000,000 the action is happening at the squad level and it is just as terrifying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://4glory.4rumer.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: About For Glory   Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 pm

The time period of For Glory is not exclusive to what is set up in the RP forums and can be modified to the desires of its members. Currently there are 12 RP forums plus two forums in the Field Manuals that can be used for RP; Air Ops and Naval Ops. I kept those two separate because both are unique forms of RP that follow a different set of rules. Land based RPs are all pretty much the same; the characters walk or ride to where the action is. This is not to say that if you wanted to talk about an Air Assault Operation using helicopters that you have to do it in the Air Ops forum. The Air Ops is more for fix wing aircraft or for Pilot RPs.
The Battle of Britain is an excellent example.

Since this is a Role Play, the normal rules apply.

Rules for Roleplaying:

You are about to embark on an adventure of unknown consequences. You will need a character or unit to roleplay in order to do this. Please make sure you are carrying the proper level of imagination and don’t forget to have some fun.

The first thing you will need to do is create a unit. A sample of this is listed below. Depending on the scenario, the character creation may change. The differences will come into play based on the time period you RP.

Sample Unit Creation:

You will need to list pertinent data about your Primary Character (Leader) and then give a background story on him and the unit. This helps others to understand him/unit better.

Name: Larry McDonald
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 190 Lbs.
Race: Irish-American
Skin tone: Fair/sunburnt /w freckles
Origin: Boston, MA

Personality: Sergeant McDonald is a serious Marine NCO. He doesn't take gruff from anyone. He takes care of the marines in his squad; treating each man fairly. Sergeant McDonald has been in the USMC for just over five years and he is new to the Squad Leader Position. He spent a year as a Team Leader before being promoted to Sergeant and taking over a squad. 2nd Squad, 1st Platoon I/3-5 is with the 1st Marine Division at Chu Lai, Vietnam (1966). The unit has just arrived in country.

2nd Squad, 1st Platoon, I Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines (US)
Squad Leader: Sergeant Larry McDonald, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
"A" (Alpha) Fire Team Leader: Corporal Don "Chip" Hampton, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
BAR Gunner: Lance Corporal Andrew "Andy" Robertson, carries M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (.30-06 caliber), bandoleer holding sixteen 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, and Ka-Bar knife.
Grenadier: Lance Corporal Raymond "Z-man" Jenkins, carries M79 Grenade Launcher, M1911 .45 caliber pistol, twenty-four 40mm grenades (16x HE, 4x smoke & 4x Illum) and Ka-Bar Knife
Rifleman: Private First Class Pablo Ortiz, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
Rifleman: Private First Class Eric Nimeroski, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm)with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
"B" (Bravo) Fire Team Leader: Corporal Tom "Dallas" Reid, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
BAR Gunner: Lance Corporal Harold "Hap" Peterman, carries M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (.30-06 caliber), bandoleer holding sixteen 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, and Ka-Bar knife.
Grenadier: Lance Corporal George Zalinski, carries M79 Grenade Launcher, M1911 .45 caliber pistol, twenty-four 40mm grenades (16x HE, 4x smoke & 4x Illum) and Ka-Bar Knife
Rifleman: Private First Class Juan Garcia, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
Rifleman: Private First Class Pedro Gonzalez, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
"C" (Charlie) Fire Team Leader: Corporal Benjamin "Chief" Washington, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
BAR Gunner: Lance Corporal Ibraham "Buddy" Blumstein, carries M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (.30-06 caliber), bandoleer holding sixteen 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, and Ka-Bar knife.
Grenadier: Lance Corporal Jacob "Skipper" Lehman, carries M79 Grenade Launcher, M1911 .45 caliber pistol, twenty-four 40mm grenades (16x HE, 4x smoke & 4x Illum) and Ka-Bar Knife
Rifleman: Private First Class Robert "Tiny" Yates, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.
Rifleman: Private First Class Leonard "Len" Carpenter, carries a M14 assault rifle (7.62mm) with seven 20-round magazines, 4 fragmentation grenades, Bayonet and Ka-Bar knife.

BE SURE TO GiVE YOUR CHARACTER/UNIT WEAKNESSES. It is more fun to write about the drama created from problems in the unit than for everyone to be happy and perfect all the time.

How to be a Good RPer

To be a good RPer you will need to be descriptive and imaginative. Describe the setting or weather or the appearance of individuals or yourself. Attempt to visualize with words what is going on in the action.

Limit what your write so that others can participate as well. Try to avoid writing the entire battle in your post. Allow others to take a few swings too. You will not be allowed to fire someone else’s rifle or throw someone else’s grenade for them as that is considered “Godmodding” and strictly forbidden. You can only RP your character(s)/unit.

When you are following another player (author) in the RP thread, read what he/she has written and attempt to tie his/her event/actions into what you are about to write. This is a similar concept to the forum game where you write only one word and everyone on the forum ends up creating a paragraph that is humorous and makes no sense…but is fun, at least to some people.

Try to include items that you have written in your unit/character’s bio. This will help to explain why your character/unit behaves in a certain way. An example would be if your rifleman was abandoned by his father as a child maybe he has certain emotional problems as a young adult or if your grenadier got wounded one post back he may not be able to fight for a while.

Godmodding. I touched on this briefly, but try to avoid Godmodding. This refers to controlling other player’s unit/characters. When I first started role playing I did not fully comprehend what that meant. I thought that I could show dialogue in my post between two characters, but that is also considered Godmodding. Only talk about what your unit/character is doing. It is OK to employ teamwork, but it is up to the individual to choose if he wants to go with the group’s plan or do his own thing.

If you are having a conversation with another player’s character, that conversation might be extended if the other person is not available to continue the conversation for a day or more. This is why we maintain an OOC thread for each IC thread. This way, you can leave notes for the other players involved in the story without cluttering up the IC thread with a bunch of OOC posts.

Remember to post a copy of the link to your OOC thread to your IC thread and vice versa. This will make it easer to go back and forth between the two. Another technique is to have two windows open; one for the IC thread and one for the OOC thread.

Player Interaction

Part of the greatness of RPing is Player interaction; in other words RPing with the other players. The Roleplay will depend upon player interaction. If player/unit X kills Player/unit Y then Player/unit Y was just kicked out of the story. THAT IS FORBIDDEN. The only time you may RP a player/unit killing another player/unit is if the dying player/unit has consented to the slaying. During player v player confrontations, there will be a referee to decide the final outcome of the action.

Player dueling is something that is very fun in role plays. If you and another player/unit are enemies then you may engage in a 1v1 duel. Use some imagination and describe the action, don’t just use some mightier than thou weapon and smite your opponent with one blow. Because of the nature of this genre, it is possible for two players/units to be enemies. This will cause tension in the RP thread and may lead to an eventual confrontation. All fights will be decided by an unbiased referee agreed upon by both participants.

Please avoid spamming or excluding others from participating in the RP.

If there are any issues I may have overlooked, please send me a PM and I will make changes if appropriate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://4glory.4rumer.com

About For Glory
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1