Military Historical Fiction Play by Post Game

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Library

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gunther

PostSubject: The Library   Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 pm

I like to read Military History, which lends itself to the creation of this website. What books in this genre do you read?

I am currently working on putting together a WWII Eastern Front RP and doing extensive research gathering data on AFVs, weapons and organizations used by both sides during that fight. A few of the reference material I am using includes:

James Lucas, "Das Reich; The Military Role of the 2nd SS Division," Arms and Armour, London (1992)

Robert J. Kershaw, War Without Garlands; Operation Barbarosa 1941/42," SARPEDON, New York (2000)

Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. I have (had) both of these games since the late 1970s or early 1980s. I recently had to thrown out my copy of Panzer Blitz because it was all coated in mold. I did however salvage the rule book and design notes. These have tremendous insights into what the game designers looked at when creating the games.

I have several other books on the subject and more. I am considering using the 2nd SS Division "Das Reich" for our Role play. I don't have a book on the 1st SS "Leibstandarte".

Something to note is the organizations change over time. At the beginning of the war "Das Reich" was organized as a Panzer Grenadier Division. There were three Panzer Grenadier Regiments in the Division, "Deutschland", "Der Fuhrer" and "Germania". The Division also contained the "N" Battalion (Nurenburg), which was the Anti-Tank Battalion. The Division also had an Artillery Regiment, reconnassiance battalion, anti-aircraft battalion, Pioneer Battalion, "Dresden", a motorcycle Battalion and a Signals Battalion.

MA Army NG 1985 -2003
Captain, Infantry
Units: 2nd Battalion, 104th Infantry
1st Battalion, 104th Infantry
26th Infantry Brigade
HHC, 29th Infantry Division (L)

Deployments: Operation Joint Forge
Position: Battle Captain, Current Ops G3
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Library
View previous topic View next topic Back to top